I just had the privilege of speaking about game design and gamification at North by Northeast Interactive. While I want to clean up my slides to be useful to a new reader, I’ve collected a few links and resources either mentioned in my talk or directly relevant to the subject at hand. I’ll add more soon, but this should get you started!
- Sebastien Deterding’s Meaningful Play, Pawned, Just Add Points, and Don’t Play Games With Me!
- Amy Jo Kim has lots of information in this space
- Nicole Lazzaro is another great source
- Richard Bartle’s original Player Types paper, his recentÂ presentationÂ at Digital Shoreditch
- Kevin SlavinÂ on a rather broken Saatchi & Saatchi study which conflates everything from social, to games, to gamification in ways that could not help but confuse those surveyed.
- Sebastian Deterding on the same study.
- Gamification.co’s blog about both, the comments thread is well worth a read as Slavin dissects the issues further.
- An article on O’Reilly by Gabe Zichermann wherein he begins addressing the criticisms of gamification, but the real meat is in the comments with Deterding providing several of the most well thought out critiques of the entire space thus far.
- Jesse Schell’s tracking of the Gamepocalypse.
- Chris Hecker on Achievements Considered Harmful?